Sunday 22 April 2012

Sunday Morning Treat.

A rare Sunday morning off so the weather was good so down the plot I went, I was dreading it a bit as I have been reading a lot of other blogs and everyone saying how the weather has made the weeds go wild, last year I really struggled to keep them at bay so over the winter I constructed raised beds and barked the main paths, to my surprise the only area that had gone mad was the dreaded path I mentioned a few posts ago I got a spade on them and just chopped them down for the time being until I can spend a bit more time tackling it. i gave the onions and Garlic a quick hoe just to keep them down.

I wanted to do some planting today so I put the first of the peas in with some twigs from my eucalyptus tree I cut down a few weeks ago, the soil in this bed is the best on the plot lots of organic material and some hard digging in the autumn really did pay dividends I plan to do 2 a year to get them all in top shape.
I also got another herb pot planted up with some flat parsley oregano and chives all grown from seed this year.
I used the time to contemplate a few big decisions I need to make this week and nothing better than a few hours down the allotment to clear my head.
The blossom on the pear tree is all out now and I hope to get a good harvest from it this year

9 comments:

  1. It's all looking very weed free, I wish I could say the same about my plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its all in the camera angles trust me i have lots!

      Delete
  2. 'Too wet to go' for us today but we have managed a couple of afternoons this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is a fun time of year isn't it? So great seeing new growth all round the place (and blogs)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. spring is defenitly the best time of year so much going on and never a dull moment.

      Delete
  4. Mice had my seed at home in the veg garden, I've started them off again in the greenhouse. Last year my peas didn't do well at the allotment, I'm not sure if I will try them again this year. Still thinking it over.

    I read an article tonight about spraying weedy paths with neat white vinegar. Apparantley it works, I've never tried it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my mother told me also about the white vinegar i might give it a go i will let you know if it works

      Delete
  5. I'm avoiding sowing at present as the wetness seems to screw up seed germination - well, for me anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. With this awful weather, your timing for putting in raised beds couldn't have been better. We can only sow on our one raised bed - everywhere else is under water. It's lovely to see your seedlings thriving.... it gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete