Monday 28 May 2012

What on Earth........


What another wonderful day, morning off work my 2 girls at school so off the allotment I go. Time to get the sweetcorn in the ground, a spot of light weeding first to make the bed ready for planting and In they went, learning from last year when I planted out sweetcorn I made sure they were a little deeper planted to give them more stability when growing. I am growing mini corn and normal sweetcorn both were a big success last year and can’t wait to eat them again this year.

All my regular readers will know I am trailing loads of old heritage potatoes this year so today was the final earthing up of them. I thought I would use a technique I haven’t tried before using hay instead of earth to cover my potatoes I have read that it works really well and will also help to improve my soil for next year as I can dig it in once the potatoes are removed.

I was quite lucky that the council cut the grass around the allotments about 4 days ago and left the cuttings spread all over the place they had since tuned to hay so off I went with rake and wheelbarrow to collect to use for my potatoes.

I was a little concerned that once there was a little wind the hay would blow everywhere so just to make sure I added a small amount of earth to the tops to stop it all blowing away. I know it doesn’t look the most attractive in the world but the proof will be in the potatoes at the end.

3 comments:

  1. So you were making hay whilst the sun shone eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be interesting to see how your potatoes do using this method. My sweetcorn is ready to go out but the bed isn't quite ready for them yet, more work to do then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spud beds look good with the hay on them. It should help to keep moisture and warmth in too. Good idea. My Sweetcorn is coming on great as I got it out early under plastic bottles, before the hot weather started.

    ReplyDelete