Tuesday 26 June 2012

The GreenHouse affect.......


Thought I would give you a update on my greenhouse activity’s thus far for 2012, I am growing 5 different varieties of tomato this year, yes yes I know I said I was only going to grow 3 but when confronted with a stall selling seeds for 25p who can resist right?
the early sowing of gardeners delight I sowed in February to try to achieve an early crop has flat out failed probably down to this fluctuating weather were having (there’s always next year)
But 4 of the 5 varieties have developed flowers so hopefully a few weeks from now I will be eating the first tomato of the season.

The 5 varieties that I am growing are:
·         Gardeners delight (cherry)
·         Golden Pear (pear shaped yellow cherry)
·         Alice Craig (normal)
·         San Mirzano 3 (plum)
·         Alicante (normal)

The anticipation of the first tomato of the year only builds once they have set and start to fatten and ripen and there truly is nothing like the first tomato picked from the vine, the warmth when you pop it into your mouth then then it bursts like a firework of flavour……Mmmmmmm.

I am also growing sweet peppers and aubergines too, the aubergines are coming along nicely but we need more sun please! The peppers have started to set some fruit so I have given them a feed today. Hopefully the peppers will be as good as last year. So over all the greenhouse is looking healthy and hopefully won’t be long before some things are ready to pick..





Don’t forget to check out my Facebook page for more pictures and you can also follow me on twitter@plot58

3 comments:

  1. My tomatoes are still tiny things, no sign of any flowers yet. I think it will be green tomato chutney for me this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like everything else our plants are slow to grow but looking healthy although smaller than usual for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your greenhouse plants are coming along o.k. My greenhouse hasn't seen much use this year, (its badly situated in my back garden), except very early to germinate my seeds for the plot. Just got 4 tomato plants in there at the moment. I'm moving the greenhouse down to my plot next year where it will be positioned for full sun. Anyway the rain will probably keep the glass clean

    ReplyDelete