Tuesday 12 June 2012

Sacre bleu...its a French Invasion!


Today is Bean day. The wife and I made good use of the halt in the rain to get 2 hours down the allotment, so we got the bean frames up and the beans in.

The past Sunday we dug the bed over ready for the beans and put loads of manure on plus it got a good load in the autumn too. The ground wasn’t ideal as it was very muddy but today is the only day we could get down the plot so we had to make do.

This year I haven’t grown any runner beans from seed I am simply going to pop the seed in when the bamboo structure is erected, not sure what the results will be like but that’s part of the fun of the allotment isn’t it?

I have put in 3 rows of French Beans in Blue Lake, Daneile and one don’t know the name of, and I have also put in a row of Borlotti beans which I really enjoyed last year.  I have never grown Blue Lake before but have read that it’s a good cropper and very good for eating so fingers crossed it will be tasty I will keep you posted

Last year when I erected the bamboo structures I didn’t put any side braces on and when it got windy they decided to fold in on them self’s so this year after watching GW I saw Monty put side supports on his structures so I have done the same and it really has made the whole structure very secure. Something I shall do from now on with any structure I erect.
An update on the potatoes after using the hay to earth up they have shot up and are looking really healthy (although I think this weather has had a hand in that) won’t be long now till the first earlies will be ready for digging up.

Happy gardening everyone…

 Don’t forget to check out my Facebook page for more pictures and you can also follow me on twitter check out the side panel on the right.

10 comments:

  1. I grow Blue Lake and they're delicious. I haven't had a great start with them this year, the slugs have been at them, but I've sown some more direct so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The first potato container has been emptied out here and consumed, delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to get my first earlies this year too

      Delete
  2. Seeing as I can't speak French I'll just have to comment in my normal way - everything is looking good on your plot - my french beans don't seem to be making as much growth as I would like and the slugs have nobbled a few - I hope they will take off when we eventually get a summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually weave some canes in between the side sticks if I use a tunnel construction but our runners are up teepees.

    We planted our beans last weekend although still more Frenches to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may sow a few more french beans too ilove them and my 2 girls do too. i think you want to grow some on there little allotment patch

      Delete
  4. did my french beans direct in the ground from seed this year and they seem to be doing ok now I have some pidgeon protection around them...
    yours are looking good!
    I use wigwams for most climby things as its very windy here and they stay up better for me, however I used monty's tip on my tomato supports!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your French beans look good. I sowed about 45 (Cobra) direct around wigwams a few of weeks ago. They are struggling due to wind & rain. My Runner beans are average after being planted out from pots, where they were doing well.

    ReplyDelete