Monday 16 July 2012

"Know Your Onions"


It’s been a good year for me anyway with my onions, normally with wet weather I find onions not to do so well, but this year I have had a bumper crop, only had 4 onions go to seed and they were all red Barons. Last year my onions were well pathetic, in fact the worst of all the crops I grew. I was determined to get a good crop this year.

I want to pull them now in case the rust that affected my garlic appears again and ruins my crop of onions.
I know onions don’t like to much water so this year when we had a spell of persistent wet weather I covered them over so they wouldn’t get to wet, I think it has paid off some of the bulbs are huge.
I haven’t the room to dig them all up just yet as I have them drying in the shed hung up over some rope. Normally I would dry them outside over a ladder but you need sun for that (it’s a big yellow thing that sits in the sky and makes things warm and helps plants to grow…so I have heard!) and this wet weather will not help them dry out! I am hoping the other half I have left in will be ok for another 2-3 weeks them I can pick them and dry them too.

Once they are dry I am going to have a go at platting them like you do with garic I have read that this helps them last longer and store well like it, you never know unless you try right?
Onions are such a versatile crop and to me as a chef, I couldn’t imagine a recipe without it in I am really looking forward to cooking with my first proper batch of home grown onions.


How’s your onion crop this year???



Don’t forget to check out my Facebook page for more pictures and you can also follow me on twitter@plot58

9 comments:

  1. Hi! Really enjoying your blog and am impressed with your onions. Slow going for our onions this year, but we've had good success with Welsh onions (see our blog here http://tinyurl.com/7hylk5q ). Have you ever cooked with these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My allotment onions are a bit pathetic, my home-grown onions are much better and swelling well, despite the rubbish weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allotmentplot4, the weahter this year has been a bit of a challange hasnt it! last year we had no water this year to much. you cant win!

      Delete
  3. Our onions and especially our shallots have done really well this year. Although most have bolted (and won't store too well) we've been pretty happy with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our onions aren't growing well at all - I think the low temperatures maybe sent the growing into limbo for more than just onions too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How's my onion crop? I'll tell you, in a single word of one syllable. Crap.

    The biggest one is about the size of a match head. The shallots are pathetic too. It's the same in the garden and at the field.

    Mind you, I found a few decent sized bulbs at Waitrose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our onions are a soggy mess. Yours look pretty good though! Fancy swapping?

    Martin :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Onions a sore point with me. Years ago we got a bumper crop and we thought it would be the same every year. That was a long time ago and we've had many disappointments since. )Keeping the rain off sounds crazy but for the last three years would have been a good strategy.) Leeks are the only reliable allium to grow in Scotland. Having said that I've dug up our first garlic crop and it's drying off in our shed now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't grown onions this year, but my leeks are just loving it! Horses for courses I guess. I wrote a post titled 'how to string onions' a few years ago, if you want you can search for it.

    ReplyDelete